Sunday, December 25, 2005

 

I Was Nearly Touched By A Genius

While out Christmas shopping the other day, I was stood at the counter at HMV, and a man stood up to the till next to me. He held out two CDs, pointed at one and said:

'Can I exchange this please? It's not as good as I thought. This one's exactly the same price.'

The till lady let him. I thought nothing more of it, until I had left the store, when it occured to me that his tactics are ingenius - he's copying the CDs onto a computer or some such, and then taking them back and exchanging them for new ones, with which he does the same, and so on. For someone like me, who only wishes to actually get fifteen or so albums a year, that's a perfect wheeze without breaking the law.

I can't think why this didn't occur to me before.

Anyway, have a Merry Christmas, and enjoy this Killer Fact if you haven't done so already.

Comments:
For me it has to do with having the brassneck to do it. I don't have said brassneck so I meekly buy my CD's and consequently have a massive space/cheap plastic box problem. Anyway, how can I buy the latest Madonna CD and say with a straight face that it's bollocks?

As I said, I'm a piss poor liar.
 
Well, this guy's technique involved winking charmingly at the tillgirl. I can never work out with women, sometimes a wink will make them swoon, others it's good for a stiletto to the groin.

Probably safest not to bother, on reflection.
 
I'm pretty sure some places (like HMV) only allow a limited number of returns which is why you sometimes see them marking the receipt. I may be wrong. I overheard a punter asking a member of staff in Fopp what was to stop people from copying CDs and then returning them and he was told: "we don't talk about that".

Most people with computers and broadband who would do this are probably downloading music illegally anyway...
 
Actually, that's probably true. Still, I reckon it's worth a shot.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?