Wednesday, June 22, 2005

 

Another Nail In The Coffin Of Civil Liberties in Britain

'Cigarette snoopers to enforce ban.'

The headline says it all really. British citizens are expected to shop their fellows to the police if they light up where they are supposed not to. The reason for adopting this Eastern-bloc-police-state-secret-service-style law enforcement is that law enforcers in Britain are so incompetent they can't manage for themselves.

The law is a disgrace, and everyone behind it should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. A couple of years ago, a friend of mine agreed with me that if smoking were banned in public places, we would start smoking in public routinely. I still intend to do this.

Further information can be found here and here.

Oppose the ban!


Thanks, Tony, for making me start.

Comments:
Hurrah! Stop the ban! I had been thinking about quitting smoking until they announced that ban, now I will continue to smoke as a protest. Then I will sue Tony Blair for giving me lung cancer.
 
I reckon a really good lawyer and a really good psychiatrist between them could create a legal argument about the reverse psychological effects of such a ridiculous law.

I'm more than happy to be a guinea pig for this legal argument - the longer Blair stays in office, the more genuinely illiberal laws he dreams up, the more likely I am to say, hang it, I'm just going to stop obeying.

I sometimes think we could do with a civil rights movement of our own in Britain.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?